SITE TABS - CLICK TO EXPLORE

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Welcome to "What's On Your Book List" - Episode 1.

I am a huge reader - or more accurately - a huge listener of audiobooks. (I do also turn the odd page, when I want to study what the written word looks like on a page, and when working with Flash Fiction writing partners.)

I listen to between 4 and 6 books a week. That's right - A WEEK!

Last year I listened to over 200 books. WOW, even I'm impressed.

I have decided to share my reading list here on Pearson Report.
Why?
Well, I'm a huge fan of getting great book titles from other readers/listeners and felt you might enjoy a recommendation, or two hundred, from me as well.

Reading or Listening - let's take a quick look at this first, shall we.

I listen to audiobooks for the convenience it affords. When I'm cooking, tidying up, making my bed, dressing, doing laundry, ironing, and everything else my hands are preoccupied with I find having someone read to me is not only enjoyable - it's also highly entertaining.

Yes, music is an option - but, as I wish to learn a little something on my journey through life, listening to books has become a great source of knowledge as well.

Which brings me to what I read - Fiction and Non-Fiction alike. I always have a variety of books in the Bookshelf Folder of the reading app at any given time. Depending on my mood I will listen to all manner of interesting writings.

The reading app I use is available for Android and iOS platforms, and is free. It is called Overdrive. (The link will take you to their info page for mobile devices.)

So, without further ado - here are the titles of the books I have listened to during the last two weeks (April 1-14):

P G WOODHOUSE - My Man Jeeves, The Inimitable Jeeves, Jeeves, The Code of Woodhouse and The Mating Season

I'm a fan of old English writers - and when I want comedic writing there's nothing like a book by P G Woodhouse to make me laugh. As you can see, I had a run on a few - needed to have some humour and quirkiness in my world. These hit the mark. Part of the enjoyment is listening to the character voices read so brilliantly by the readers. 

DION LEONARD - Finding Gobi

Speaking of finding things, when I saw the cover and read the Overview (provide with a book when searching the titles through the library) I knew I had found a great book. A must read.

WILLIAM GOLDING - Lord of the Flies

I never did read this in my school days. When I came across it I went for it - well, as we all know - it's excellent. If you have not had a chance to read Lord of the Flies now's a good time.

NOAH HAWLEY - Before the Fall

Great storyline, well constructed characters, many twists and turns. Overall, I highly recommend Before the Fall. Whether reading it, or listening, it's a page-turner. 

COLSON WHITEHEAD - The Underground Railroad

All I can say about this book is WOW - I learned so much about the life of a slave in the late 1800s, early 1900's that I could not stop listening. At times my shock and revulsion at what was happening to the key characters was overwhelming. Yet, I was filled with awe and admiration for the way they endured and rose above the atrocities, even when the odds were stacked against them. This was such a well written book, the audiobook reader was amazing too. 

JOAN BAUER - Almost Home

I finished this book yesterday - here's another outstanding author. The flow of this story was seamless, the characters and storyline so real, very believable - I had strong feelings for them and their struggles. How quickly a life can change, and when it's a young one that has no control of parental units, it has that much more power to shape our emotions. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Again, if you're looking for a solid, well-written book this is a good find.

Please note - I am providing recommendations only, not reviews. My intention is to share books I've enjoyed. As for reviews there are lots of sites which do just that. Goodreads offers book reviews - so does your local library. 

ENJOY listening to (or reading) some of these amazing books.

Look for Episode 2 of "What's On Your Book List" in about two weeks.

Feel free to share your favourite titles in the comments below - I'm always looking for a great read. 





5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - this will be a great resource ... so far I'm just reading ... but not as many as you get through - though might get myself sorted with audio books - thanks for these - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary - I hope you get a chance to look at a few of the books here, you won't be disappointed.

      As to audiobooks - it's the only way to go! LOL works well for me anyway.

      Cheers, Jenny xo

      Delete
  2. Happy Reading/Listening. Back when I traveled a lot I LOOOVED listening to books. Oh my fun. Great stuff. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy - thanks for stopping by. I bet you covered a lot of ground, not only travelling, but also reading! Glad audiobooks have been part of your journey.

      Cheers, Jenny xo

      Delete
    2. They are great fun. But I also love listening and still do listen to, OLD TIME RADIO. So much fun.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.