Saturday, April 09, 2016

H is for Hormones - 2 in particular.


My theme is Low Carb High Fat. 
(#LCHF on Twitter)

But, that’s not all - it’s about a journey to better health. 
It is about two women. 
One at death’s door, the other not far behind.

As you follow this journey you will be surprised by what you read here. I hope it impacts you and causes you to question what mainstream medicine is doing to you, and those you love.



Here we go… 

H is for Hormones, 2 in particular.

My latest read is The Obesity Code, by Jason Fung, MD. He’s a nephrologist - that’s a doctor who specializes in the diseases of the kidneys.

Dr. Fung is also the founder of the Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) Program, based out of Toronto, which provides a unique treatment focus for type 2 diabetes and obesity. His website houses his blog, with info-laden posts. This guy is brilliant - he can be also found on Twitter @drjasonfung. The thing I liked right away - he's funny and he gives a damn. 

Well, I got to know of Dr. Fung’s work by watching this video - from the Low Carb Vail 2016 Conference. 

To see other videos from that Conference, click HERE

First off, the fact Dr. Jason Fung is from Canada was enough to having me doing the happy dance. 

YOU HAVE NO idea how frustrating it is to be going it alone as Mom’s advisor in a city like Vancouver. It may be a “pretty” city, but not progressive regarding medicine.

YOU’D THINK that I would have an easy time finding a doctor who would embrace the changes I’ve helped Mom make - and be excited to be part of those changes. NO LUCK, though Mom’s GP is doing his best be appear supportive.

In fact… Mom’s doc has given his lukewarm blessings on having Mom sign up to be part of Dr. Fung’s Long Distance IDM Program.

My GP, was a little harder to sell on the idea, but has reluctantly given her approval too.

Geez, you’d think this was a request to be on the next shuttle to Mars, I actually think they’d have given us their approval in an instant. Anything to get me out of their line of vision. LOL

Okay… I’m here to talk about HORMONES, and the effect they have on weight gain.

There are two worth discussing:

INSULIN (Chapter 7 in The Obesity Code) Dr. Fung provides much of the same info from his book in this article on his blog - HERE.

and

CORTISOL (Chapter 8 in The Obesity Code) Dr. Fung provides much of the same info from his book in this article on his blog - HERE.


Dr. Fung has been researching the question:

WHAT CAUSES OBESITY?

And, after many years of researching he has found this answer - 

OBESITY IS CAUSED BY INSULIN, and Insulin’s very best friend, CORTISOL. 

Hand in hand, these two hormones wreck havoc on our bodies.

First, we totally mess with our body by giving it an energy source (carbohydrates) that require insulin to be utilized. 

By over indulging in carbs we are in a constant state of spiked insulin. Over time this causes insulin resistance which in turn is given outside intervention by a doctor, who prescribes more insulin - RATHER THAN LOOKING AT THE FUEL SOURCE.

Second, we all live stressed, harried, busy lives and our built in fight or flight hormone, Cortisol, is in constant state of overdrive. 

We don’t get enough sleep, we are plugged into our gadgets literally as we go to bed. 

We have little or no down time that helps recharge our Cortisol battery pack. This leads to weight gain.

NOW… I have given you very basic overviews of TWO of our most important HORMONES. 

Dr. Jason Fung gives detailed explanations of each and by the time you finish reading Chapters 7 & 8 you’ll be heading to bed an hour earlier and unplugging yourself two hours before that.

Sleep is one thing we need but do our utmost to avoid lest we miss out on a stupid episode of some lame sitcom or reality TV show. 

A fixed bedtime is a thing of the past - even for kids.

Obesity, metabolic syndrome, GI issues, type 2 diabetes, liver disease, kidney failure… not to mention all sorts of neurological problems like early onset Dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS and even things like ADD and ADHD are results of hormones going afoul, and are all affected by out of control cortisol levels.

Understanding how these two hormones, Insulin and Cortisol, work has made it easier for me to work with Mom. We both understand, because of Dr. Fung’s commitment to his research, how we get fat and stay fat.

We also understand the way to reverse that trend. We are both excited about submitting our applications into Dr. Fung’s program. (there's a bit of a wait list…)

NOTE: In the last month, Mom has reduced her need for Lantas, that long acting insulin again. She is doing an evening injection of 8units. She’s nervous to outright quit because of the the many years of being told “diabetes is progressive” and “you’ll only need more insulin, not less, as you age”.

I’m happy to say, Mom’s doing amazing. She was out with her walker and now manages to make it 3/4 of the way up the block. And, that is epic!  

Sorry for the delay in getting this ride moving - been slow on the uptake. (Let’s call it a flat tire, shall we.)
Having some rough time with my physio treatments. Back on Feb 4th I was in a very serious car accident and lately my neck and shoulders (left side) are giving me no end of grief.  


Question for this post - How many hours of quality sleep do you get each night?


Cheers, Jenny


Note: For those of you really interested in taking responsibility for your health I have a blog roll called TO YOUR HEALTH - start there. You’ll soon be feeling empowered. These are serious doctors and researchers whose work will change your life.


8 comments:

  1. About 6 hours, sometimes less, but then I'm having to react to hubs getups. When kids were little I managed 5-6 hours. I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny - sorry about that car accident - these things always interrupt our structures ... take care and I'm sure all the things you're doing will help.

    For some reason I've taken to listening to the radio and keeping it on ... but I sleep well, and it's there when I wake ... but I must get out of the habit ...

    Fascinating series .. and I'm so pleased you're both improving ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you make a hormone?
    Don't pay her.
    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think much of the pills they prescribe. They stimulate the pancreas to dump insulin into your system and turns you into an insulin dependent diabetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7-8, but lately - due to a treatment I'm getting - 10- 12. Sleep is free,and the best thing you can to do be healthy and stay young. It's the only time one's body can regenerate. Why people don't get enough is beyond me. And I've seen parents allowing their kids to stay up late on school nights. Best of luck with getting better with your neck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last three days? About 1. But I have a pretty good reason. I average about 7 hours. But if you add napping on the couch before bed its about 8. I'm always wide awake at 4 AM every morning and raring to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope for both of you, that you have found another ready help. I do believe our sweet tooth has caused much havoc in our lives. People don't realize we get all the carbo we need from certain foods as they are. We don't need to bake and make more. Or we realize and then we still want what we want and decide we'll worry about it tomorrow.
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was very informative and I need more sleep. I am bad in this and my hubby would agree with you 100%

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

I'd give you a penny for them, but alas we just snuffed it out. Yup...gone!
It's all about the nickel now...so at this rate you can leave 5 thoughts!

Cheers, Jenny

NOTE: Comment Moderation is ON for posts older than 14 days.