Tuesday, April 05, 2016

D is for DIABETES - the cure exists.


My theme is Low Carb High Fat. 
(#LCHF on Twitter)

But, that’s not all - it’s about a journey to better health. 
It is about two women. 
One at death’s door, the other not far behind.

As you follow this journey you will be surprised by what you read here. I hope it impacts you and causes you to question what mainstream medicine is doing to you, and those you love.



Here we go… 

D is for Diabetes - the cure exists.

I wonder how many folks actually sat back and watched yesterday’s video. And went so far as to share it. 

What I have learned from being on this epic life-altering journey is how much like ostriches we actually are.

Change is not easily accepted. 

Particularly when so many “professionals” argue amongst themselves as to which camp is right - Low Carbs VS High Carbs. 

Our journey continues…

From July to October 2015 

We implemented Dr. Hallberg’s recommendations and eliminated virtually ALL carbs. 

I focused on changing Mom’s eating habits.

I increased her daily exercise/movement.

During this time I decreased Mom’s insulin. She was injecting twice daily with two forms of insulin - Apidra Solostar (short acting - given am/pm) and Lantus (long acting - overnight, also given am/pm)

THOSE VALUES WERE 24/20 UNITS AM (APIDRA/LANTUS)
AND 18/14 UNITS AT NIGHT (APIDRA/LANTUS)

If you’re paying attention you’ll be wondering why Mom was given Lantus in the morning. 

GOOD OBSERVATION. 

Dr. Thompson, her diabetes doctor, DID NOT catch this glitch, which apparently happened when Mom was in rehab, where they played with her meds because she was not stable after her stroke. BUT I CAUGHT IT.

During this time - I got my mom off the following drugs:

Atorvastatin (aka Lipitor) - a powerful cholesterol drug

NEWS FLASH - we do not need cholesterol meds, our bodies are MADE of cholesterol. 

And… statins cause mental deterioration as in Alzheimer's and Dementia because they deprive the brain of cholesterol which it needs to function. 

Citalopram Hydrobromide - an antidepressant with a long list of side effect, that could make you depressed just reading them.

and then I got her off 

Gabapentin - this is a potent pain relief drug. The potent part is what it does to the rest of the body, the side effect are brutal to say the least.

All these drugs add to the damage diabetes already does, so taking them just creates more liver and kidney damage amongst a whole host of other problems.

As for the insulin - I had reduced her injections to none in the morning and 4/2 UNITS EACH OF APIDRA/LANTUS AT NIGHT.

FINALLY… after 3 months...

I made an appointment to see my mother’s family physician.

He was outwardly shocked at what he saw - here… see for yourself.

Jan 2015 - Mom with Dieter, hardly able to have a conversation.

Nov 2015 - what a difference. 15 lbs. lighter in this photo.

And, in case you were wondering… Type 2 Diabetes is NOT HEREDITARY.

It is caused by EATING CARBS, particularly wheat.

The CURE FOR DIABETES is to NOT EAT CARBS, particularly wheat. 

My mother is living proof of that. 

AND, YOU CAN’T ARGUE WITH PROOF.


The ride is far from over… a twist or two still awaits. So remain seated and buckled in for the next instalment.


Question for this post - Do you believe diabetes can be cured by refraining from eating carbs, especially wheat?



 Cheers, Jenny



Note: For those of you really interested in taking responsibility for your health I have a blog roll called TO YOUR HEALTH - start there. You’ll soon be feeling empowered. These are serious doctors and researchers whose work will change your life.


15 comments:

  1. Anything can be cured or at least mitigated by avoiding all the crap. I'll never touch wheat again. Some of the most junk food out there. Sadly though, exercise and right diet, few people want to try it. Rather sit on their butt and shove pills in their gut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, for your continued visits. I really appreciate your input. I agree, the balance of exercise and right diet is often not what folks want to hear - they want a pill, which they wash down with their coke, followed by a bag of chips.

      If things don't change soon the USA will be bankrupt from the skyrocketing cost associated with obesity and the myriad of diseases it causes. So sad.

      Delete
  2. Great post. The before and after of Oma is shocking. To get the full extent of it you really had to be there talking to her at her lowest point. Having a conversation with her now is like having a conversation with her when she was in her younger years. She remembers things so much better now and she is always telling me how happy she is and how much more she has to live for now. You saved her life Mum. You really did. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Miss CP - if only folks could see the change first hand - suffice it to say Oma's friends sure notice the difference in her speech, her appearance and most of all, her attitude. Yes, she is happy and wants to live. That in turn makes me happy.

      Thank you for saying I saved her life - I do feel I helped, but if she wasn't a willing participant it would not have mattered what I did. She gets some credit too! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a difference in your mom! You're a loving daughter. My husband suffered with type 2 diabetes for 30+ years and died of end-stage renal failure from diabetes. If diabetes is managed, one can live a long life. Refined sugar and products made with it are horrible. Diet sodas are another contributing factor of Type 2 diabetes. The artificial sweeteners are harsh on the body. Re, cholesterol, yes our bodies make it, but if we don't eat enough of good "OILS" - olive, coconut, avocado, e.g., our bodies produces more cholesterol than is needed. All the low-fat/no-fat foods contributed to higher cholesterol levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know your stuff - which I really admire. I'm sorry your husband didn't have better information and care from the medical professionals involved in his care. So many more doctors are starting to embrace the importance of what we eat and how it effects every aspect of our health.

      Delete
  4. My sister is type 2 diabetic. Lots of my relatives are. But, my sister is asthmatic and has been on steroids a fair amount. From what I have read, that can cause diabetes. One time I shared a study on Facebook about getting off insulin and I really made this woman mad. She said I wanted her to die cause she had to have her insulin. I made a nurse mad once over statins. They took my husband's blood and his cholesterol was high and the doctor wanted to put him on one and I told her no and she wanted to argue about it and pushing me when he and I have discussed this before.
    My mother is on gabapentin for neuropathy. Non diabetic.
    I believe that both sides of my family have problems with gluten. It has been diagnosed on my dad's side, but not on my mother's. Signs are there that it's a problem.
    Your mom is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, how frustrating having so many "professionals" not willing to work with you and your husband to find alternative ways to resolve his health issues.
      Sounds like both sides of your family could do with a dose of LCHF and really get help weaning of some of the meds that are doing more harm than good.

      I hope my posts help with seeing how simple changes in diet can make a world of difference.

      Delete
    2. He was wheat free for awhile. Not gluten free like me, but he did good. But, he would complain and complain about how he couldn't eat this or that and his was a choice and he didn't really have a problem with it like I do. So, back to bread and Twizzlers he went. He gained back weight and some more problems have seemed to appear but he's not bitching. I got tired of that.

      Delete
  5. I believe everything in moderation. Exercise and most of all the power of positive thinking. We struggle with my wife's diabetes right now. I'm told it should go away after pregnancy. I sure hope so. We really do control it with slow/fast carbs and no added sugar. It is amazing how much sugar is in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, only I don't think any wheat in any amount is beneficial. Once off it you'd be surprised how quickly things revert back to a healthy state. I can't say it in any other way than what I see with mom, and even with my own insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome - which was part of my diagnosis last year. That has all changed with the elimination of wheat. Yes… wheat it the beast. No two ways about it. Even though the AMA still touts it as part of a healthy diet.

      The best carbs are green and grow above ground. As for cooking - my E post will have a bunch of surprises in that area.

      Yes… sugar is in everything that comes in a box, and in fruit - hence only berries on a LCHF diet.

      Delete
  6. I need to do something, I have had the worst start of the year and you shared some great things. We have to stop meeting only once a year, you are a doll! Very Nice Post... but you know that, that's why you posted it! Right!

    Welcome in the letter "D"... thank you!
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2016]

    Stop over and find a free "SIX STRINGS: BLOGGING AtoZ CHALLENGE" Here: http://www.jmhdigital.com/

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy - gosh, it's true we have to stop meeting like this… once a year is just not going to cut it. :)

      I'm so please you are finding this topic interesting. It gets more so as I go along. So do drop in again.

      Hugs coming your way - and smiles too!

      Delete
  7. I think most people would not have type 2 if they did eat properly. There is too much crap and goo. Everything has sugar in it when it doesn't need to have this plus tons of things are now breaded. Add tons of pasta, pizza, waffles, breads etc.... And you have crap we can't digest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the nail right on the head - Type 2 Diabetes is ONLY caused by what one eats - and that is CARBS. When I think of the times Mom's dietician would scold her for not eating enough carbs and even say she wasn't losing weight because she didn't have enough will power - such crap.
      I'm just happy that for these last few years of Mom's life they will be happier and healthier. She's so different then she was - always in pain, always wanting to die… I can only say it a Low Carb High Fat diet works.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

I'd give you a penny for them, but alas we just snuffed it out. Yup...gone!
It's all about the nickel now...so at this rate you can leave 5 thoughts!

Cheers, Jenny

NOTE: Comment Moderation is ON for posts older than 14 days.