Saturday, April 02, 2016

B is for Backing up the Bus


My theme is Low Carb High Fat. 
(#LCHF on Twitter)

But, that’s not all - it’s about a journey to better health. 
It is about two women. 
One at death’s door, the other not far behind.

As you follow this journey you will be surprised by what you read here. I hope it impacts you and causes you to question what mainstream medicine is doing to you, and those you love.


Here we go… 


B is for Backing up the Bus


As this post title says, let’s back up this bus for a moment so I can give you the background for this journey.

Turn the clock back to March 2015. 

Mom (82) was going downhill fast. She’s been a diabetic for over 20 years and using insulin for the past 6 years. She had a stroke in November 2013 which affected her cerebellum (responsible for motor control) which meant she could not walk independently, nor use her right hand. Putting it mildly, she was a mess.

She would visit her GP and ask him to kill her - that’s right - she would say, “Kill me doctor, I don’t want to live.”

A dear friend of Mom’s, Dieter (80) was down for a visit, also around that time, and commented, with great sadness, that he feared this would be the last time he’d see my mom, she was in such bad shape. 

I was at a loss. Dealing with my own life threatening disease (more on that in upcoming posts), I was feeling the stress and worry mounting. What to do was the question.

Jump forward to May 27, 2015.

Mom was still on the decline - getting worse by the day. Injecting 4 times a day, her weight had ballooned (all visceral fat - the stuff around the waist), her neuropathy was getting so unbearable she would scream out in pain.

This was a day I will not long forget.

I accompanied my mother to her appointment with Dr. Thompson (her diabetes doc) - the guy that likes to write out prescriptions - remember him.

Well… 

Mom was so distressed with her weight gain and wanted desperately to lose some of it. So… instead of talking to Mom about how to reduce her weight through diet, maybe talk about how diabetes is caused - this useless doctor, yet again wrote out a prescription.

I asked Dr. Thompson about side effects - remember, Mom can’t stand without a walker, she has poor vision (had a stroke in one eye years ago), has bladder issues… the list goes on. 

YET he wants to give her MORE MEDICATION.

THE PRESCRIPTION WAS FOR… CANAGLIFLOZIN (aka Invokana)

What is this drug? you ask.

OMG - it’s death in a pill for someone like my mother, and countless others with similar health issues.

Here are some of its side effects

frequent, urgent, burning, or painful urination
urine that is cloudy, red, pink, or brown
strong smelling urine
pelvic or rectal pain
(in women) vaginal oder, white or yellowish vaginal discharge, vaginal itching
(in men) redness, itching, or swelling of the penis, rash on the penis, foul smelling discharge from the penis, or pain in the skin around the penis
tingling in arms and legs
loss of muscle tone
weakness or heaviness in legs
lack of energy 
cold, gray skin
irregular or slow heartbeat

Also...
nausea, vomiting, stomach-area pain, tiredness, difficulty breathing

And for good measure, if none of the above gets you…
Canagliflozin may increase the chance of having a fracture (broken bone), particularly in the upper arms, wrist, or hand.

Oh joy!

Mom wanted me to fill the prescription right away, so desperate was she to lose a mere 5 lbs, which Dr. Thompson said was about average.

Now… folks, if I didn’t love my mom, and didn’t want to see her live a little longer, I would have had that prescription filled asap - I knew it was a silent killer. If she started that drug I could almost predict she’d be dead in under a month. If not from a serious fall, then from one of the many side effect as seen above.

BUT - ever the loving daughter, I said... 

NO - I WON’T FILL THIS UNTIL I RESEARCH IT.

Just read some of the reviews HERE - it’s fucking scary - yes, at this time foul language is needed to hit the point home.

THIS DRUG IS SO SCARY IT GAVE ME NIGHTMARES!

Well, that’s when I went into full research mode… what I uncovered will astonish you.

Still buckled in I hope. Well remain seated because we’re rounding the first corner - what happens next is coming up.

Question for this post - Do you read reviews and research a drug before taking it?


Cheers, Jenny


Note: For those of you really interested in taking responsibility for your health I have a blog roll called TO YOUR HEALTH - start there. You’ll soon be feeling empowered. These are serious doctors and researchers whose work will change your life.


30 comments:

  1. It can all be so overwhelming I am sure, especially since it always seems like that medicine needs to start 2 days ago, not leaving time for research...unless you have a clear head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, overwhelming is a good word. And shocking… It was on that day, May 27th, that I threw in the towel and decided to help Mom get her health back.

      Unless meds are critical - DON'T TAKE THEM, is my sound advice.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny - my mother was dealt with by the best doctors in London - inadvertent though it was .. it was where she had her strokes. But we've never liked taking medication - any of us ... and I couldn't question the hospital docs .. or then the nursing centre docs - but we didn't really need to ... and we coped.

    I can quite see your challenge - how very difficult ... very - to put it mildly ... I feel for you - or would have done ...

    So interesting to have you document this during the A-Z - it will inform many - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary - Mom had her first stroke, in her right eye, sometime in the early 2000 time frame. After that her diabetes got worse, due to bad diet recommendations. Then in 2013 she had a serious stroke, the one I mention above, and was in hospital 3 months, then another 3 months in a rehab facility. It was there that her meds went out of control.

      So like you, with your mom, you cope, and do what "they" tell you, and hope for the best - sadly the worst is what often awaits us.

      Thanks for sharing your story here - it's exactly what I was hoping these posts would do - because it's time we all stopped accepting mainstream medical dogma as truth. Cheers, Jenny

      Delete
  3. You're a good daughter. Too many of the older generations just take whatever the doctor hands them.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I have my moments of frustration too, but for the most part I know what goes around, comes around. I'm hoping my daughter will have the same compassion. Fingers crossed!! :)

      You're right, the older generation just smile and nod and take what's given. Too sad.

      Delete
  4. Loving means caring...and caring enough to go the extra miles for someone we love. I always check on meds, I'm not on any, but I am on vitamins, supplements, minerals, etc. I don't put anything in my body without researching. My husband was diabetic. I had him on alpha lipoic acid for the neuropathy, bilberry & lutein for his eyes, milk thistle ( for Hep C), plus many more. His doctors were amazed that his eyes were mostly healthy after thirty years of diabetes, and that he didn't suffer neuropathy, let alone not having sores on his feet. When I told them what he was taking, they pooh poohed it saying it was a fluke. You are a sweet and loving daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh, good on you for checking your meds out, if and when you use them. I'm all for supplementation as often the foods we eat now come from tired, overworked soil.

      Sounds like your husband was (is) a lucky man. You sure were doing some excellent research on your own. Shocking how doctors refuse to look beyond the training (which we now know is at best less then adequate) and think outside the box. Calling your hard work a fluke just boils my blood.

      Well, you'll see, as my story unfolds, just how boiled my blood becomes.

      And, thanks for your kind compliment - I do try to be a sweet and loving daughter! :) Batting about 80% of the time! haha

      Delete
  5. Very interesting information, Jenny, and yes I do research meds that the doctor prescribes and I monitor all the ones they have given hubs since his cardiac arrest. I asked them to review his meds at one year and they didn't change anything (because the hospital psychiatrist had decided on the RXs, my family doctor didn't want to change it.) Well he became so aggressive from some of these meds that he had to go into the hospital for a month in 2015 while they took him off those meds and put him on others. Now we have stability of moods, but not stability of balance. My mother also went from being well to one sickness after another and after a year and a half of this, had a stroke and respiratory failure. Could it have been aggravated by the meds? I don't doubt it. I'll be dropping in occasionally Jenny to see how your journey went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just the tip of the iceberg - and when Mom's Titanic (full of ill health) sinks it makes a seriously big wave, which is still causing discomfort for her docs.

      I admire your persistence - we really have to be on top of it, particularly when we are helping loved ones who can't face the daunting task of questioning a doctor's recommendations.

      In answer to your question about meds aggravating a condition - the answer is a most definite YES. I've seen so many changes with Mom once I got her off some serious, but not necessary (in my opinion) drugs. More to come as this story unfolds.

      I do hope you'll pop by - you will find my discovers might be of use.
      Sending smiles and happy thoughts your way, Jenny xo

      Delete
  6. OMG that is absolutely terrifying and I remember you telling me about it at the time. HORRIFYING.

    I'm so happy that you are sharing this. Hopefully this gets into the hands of people who need to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sweet-pea - thanks so much for supporting me by coming over and leaving your comment. I know you have first hand knowledge of this story but your words of encouragement mean a lot. Hugs, Moo xxoo

      Delete
  7. Very fascinating the story that this all begins with, and that it starts at such a low point. Yes, prescribed medication can be scary. I remember a few years ago when I was suffering from low energy that I went to a doctor who didn't even look me in the eyes, just wanted to get me out of there, and she looked me over for all of 5 minutes, you know, doing things like hitting my knee with a hammer and asking me to breathe, before she said, "Well, I don't see anything wrong with you at all, so you're probably fine, but I can write you a prescription for some antidepressants or something if you want."

    Told her I had absolutely no interest in that and never went back. Fucking bitch (yes, foul language is always allowed in that situation when it's the only way to describe it).

    Curious to see how everything turns out here with your story and with the diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's remarkable that those kinds of doctors are allowed to practice - I'm so glad you did not go back. I'm totally good with the choice language to describe her - and I'll ditto it.

      I have lots of interesting bits to share here so do drop by again. It's always a treat having you Beer Boys drop by.

      Delete
  8. I research everything. You know me. Read, read, and read some more. A lot of these meds are so scary. My parents barely take anything. On the flip side, my in-laws take a boatload of pills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to go, Ruth. Good on you. Have you read any of Dr. David Perlmutter's books - worth a look.

      I make my source available over on my blog roll called TO YOUR HEALTH - The Big Fat Surprise was such a mind bender I listened to it at least a half dozen times. Same with Grain Brain and Brain Maker (by Perlmutter).

      I just finished Wheat Belly - now for anyone with any gut disorder, this book is the bible.

      I've been turning the pages of The Obesity Code - make waves everywhere - this book answers, brilliantly I might add, the question of, "What causes obesity?" - the answer is amazing. The cure even more shocking.

      Anyway… I will be unravelling it all here - stay tuned.

      Delete
    2. No, I haven't read any Dr. Perlmutter books. I have read Wheat Belly and it does make a lot of sense. And wheat and gluten tends to be inflammatory so anyone with arthritis or auto immune problems of any kind are better off without them.

      Delete
    3. His books can be found in libraries, should you wish to read them but not have to buy them. The other way is to download the Overdrive app (it free) and if you have a library card you can go online and get the audiobook version. This is how I cover a lot of reading of this nature.

      The thing to take away from all this is that regardless of what the disease is wheat is at the root of all of them. Best to outright eliminate it cold turkey.

      Delete
  9. Interesting many times the side effects aren't worth the attended effects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, here, Mike - couldn't agree more. And… all those side effect for a measly 5 lbs. That's what really offensive. No discussion about alternate ways of dealing with weight gain from diabetic medication - nothing.
      Just more, and more, meds. Disgusting.

      Delete
  10. Hi, here from the A-Z and it all sounds overwhelming! Good for you that you stopped your Mum from taking such a terrible drug.

    Best wishes,
    Nilanjana
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Pearson Report. Hope to see you around the Challenge. I hope you're having fun visiting lots of amazing blogs.

      Take care, Jenny :)

      Delete
  11. I'm already hooked. I can now see why you've been 'away" for so long. I'm really hoping for a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bushman - you're in for an interesting ride if you follow along.

      This is one for the people - and I mean to get it out there and expose the medical profession and their loyalty to carbs (namely the modified wheat we've been convinced to eat for decades).

      FYI - the ending will be to your liking. :)

      Delete
  12. I haven't, but you can believe I will from now on!
    Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's only the first part of the problem, now you have to dare to question your doctor - and that's the part most folks won't do.

      Stay tuned…

      Delete
  13. I despise pills and will avoid taking anything unless absolutely necessary.

    Having said that, yes, I do read the fine print and often wonder if the potential side effects are far worse than the original problem.

    I try to live a life of moderation - in everything. Moderation in the kinds of food I eat, the amount, the exercise, etc. I fall short, but it is a worthy goal for a healthy life I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Pearson Report - thanks for chiming in.

      Good on you for reading the fine print. And yes, you have to wonder if the side effects really make it worth the risk.

      Thanks for visiting - I hope you'll drop in again to see how this journey unfolds.

      Delete
  14. I have looked it up plus I speak to the pharmacist who often seems to know more than the doctors. You did the right thing and it was probably tough since your mom was hell bent in wanting to lose the weight. This must have been so difficult for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh… difficult doesn't begin to even cover the trial, tribulations, and serious frustration of dealing with Mom's diabetes, and all that comes with it.

      That said, you'll be surprised with all that has happened since July 2015.

      I'm glad you talk to your pharmacist - yes, they do know more than doctors, which certainly says something about the medical establishment.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

I'd give you a penny for them, but alas we just snuffed it out. Yup...gone!
It's all about the nickel now...so at this rate you can leave 5 thoughts!

Cheers, Jenny

NOTE: Comment Moderation is ON for posts older than 14 days.