Tuesday, October 21, 2014

This FACELIFT is a WORK in PROGRESS…

Okay, I did haul out a slightly used frock for my blog’s transitional look before I get all gussied up with bobbles for the upcoming holidays.

I have featured other previously worn blog rags HERE.

BUT - ah, the BIG BUT - how I do love it!

This post is about my FACELIFT…

the one I’m giving my house 

or

more to the point

the one I’m still giving my house…


Here are a few teasers:

So, this is the front - as it is right now. I'm waiting for railings, and for that front downspout to be changed.  All of the wood used on this house, except for the Hardie Plank siding is Western Red Cedar - the gable, stairs and deck facia are painted with a Natural Cedar stain.

The railings, which were measured on Saturday and being made now, are aluminum, but will look like wooden railings from the 30's. I'm pretty stoked about them - I'll post them when they are finished. (little happy dance going on over here)

I am working within certain Heritage guidelines to meet City requirements. So far, so good!

This is how the house looked before painting. The Hardie Plank was primed a neutral colour and I really wanted a gray house even though my neighbours liked the look of this colour (yuck). I had to live without stairs for about a week while the front deck was being rebuilt and the stairs custom made. Each step is 3" high, 45" wide and 12" deep - they are EPIC stairs!




 This is the house way back in early 2002, when I bought it… yup, seriously in need of a facelift. It was build in 1910 - the front seven feet and back eight feet were added in 1930. Those later additions required major work. Suffice it to say, that really delayed this project big time. 




Here is the back of the house as of a couple of days ago. Railings and back deck cover are coming shortly. I had a concrete pad added under the stairs, both in the back and front.



Here is the back of the house before starting the renovations - WOW - it's been a long haul, but as it finally comes to an end (well, at least the outside bit) I am really starting to get excited.



Thanks for taking a look at my FACELIFT - see, it's a good one! I'm just thankful my face, the one attached to the front of my head, doesn't need this much work - YET!  

Have you been busy tighten and adjusting something in your life - maybe you've been going through a LIFT and a TUCK too!! 

Well… have you?


Cheers, Jenny

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - you have done a lot of work on the house ... and it looks like it will be really stunning when you've finished ... so pleased you can see the light and can then really get to grips with it all. Congratulations - and I know you've been doing a fair amount yourself ... kudos to you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary, thanks for stopping by.

      Yes, I can see the light but then suddenly it turns into a green-eyed monster and yet another challenge awaits. The joys of owning a home.

      I'm going to be really pleased when the railings come - I'm getting too old to navigate with groceries and nothing to catch me as I sway side to side (because I'm too lazy to make two trips to the car). :) :)

      I hope all is right in your part of this little planet.
      With smiles and hugs, Jenny.

      Delete
  2. The before and after shots are stunning. Doesn't even look like the same house. Now it looks like a hip beach house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it was on a beach - and hip! Thanks for the lovely compliment though, it made me smile.

      Delete
  3. You have done a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thanks for dropping by and taking a look.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous looking Jenny! No wonder you're getting excited. As for my facelift...I lost a 250 lb.pain in the butt (Bruce)which resulted in me losing 45 lbs.so far! Then I gained a new man who has made my smile wider and eyes brighter. Now that is truly some transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb - I thought that Avatar looked different! And, dare I say "WOW". It's amazing what being happy can do. :) :) Your transformation is one to celebrate!

      Thanks for stopping in to check out my nip and tuck! Hugs, Jenny

      Delete
  5. Looks bloody marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you lots - I'll take one "blood marvellous" and a side of smiles as I enjoy my facelift!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha - I noticed, after I hit Publish that my "marvellous" has two l's and yours has one. I had to check my dictionary to confirm the spelling and surprise, surprise - both are correct. Yours is American, and mine is British spelling.
      It must be because, as a Canadian, I have my Mac language set at British English - too funny.

      Delete
  6. My nip slipped and my tuck sucked:) Oh you mean my home? I love what you have done-it may have taken time but you have accomplished so much. It looks great and I love the grey colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha - that's cute! I'm always tempted (being that I'm in the beauty business) to check out my "options" - but so far I'm way too scared to go under the knife.

      Now, as to knifing my house - well, seems I'm a decent enough surgeon (or at least the folks I've hired are). Mind you, I've done more than my share of hitting things with my trusty hammer. (venting, I call it)

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  7. I like the color. I would have chose similar for my house but it didn't blend well with the color of the woods.
    I would have already fallen off the deck without railings. You know me and my beer!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

I'd give you a penny for them, but alas we just snuffed it out. Yup...gone!
It's all about the nickel now...so at this rate you can leave 5 thoughts!

Cheers, Jenny

NOTE: Comment Moderation is ON for posts older than 14 days.