Friday, August 22, 2014

Reader be WARNED - this GIRL has GONE mad.

To those I might have recommended the book “Gone Girl” to before getting to the end

I apologize.


What an epic disappointment.


Here is a LINK to some comments, on Amazon, that share my sentiment.

Gone Girl, written by Gillian Flynn, was recommended to me by a friend who had mentioned the ending being ‘different’ - I should have asked for clarification. My bad!

The book is divided into three parts.

The first third is very intriguing… you flip through the pages wondering what’s up. Your curiosity is piqued.

The middle third gets way too convoluted with too many unlikely things pretending to be likely to happen in the real world… but, you still turn the pages.

Then comes the last third… what was Ms. Flynn thinking? Did her brain just shut down? Was she caught in some overly long ‘gone blank’ moment where only drivel trickled down to fingers patiently hovering over waiting keypads?

I want to know...

What could be Ms. Flynn’s justification for this weak, third rate ending?

I’d like to know because I am TOTALLY PISSED, TICKED and RIGHT ROYALLY ANNOYED  with her lame-assed ending. 

I (along with many others) was gripped at the onset and eagerly turned pages in anticipation. I wondered. I hummed and hawed at the twists - some less believable as I imagined myself in the role of Amy. I jumped into Nick’s shoes and saw what a weak man he was, but hey, okay, I still flipped pages.

Then, as I round the corner on second, I trip over a whole bunch of filler; silly stuff, pointless stuff, not believable stuff, and think, hmm, has Ms. Flynn stepped out of her writing cave (accessible only through an unfinished basement) and lost her train of thought - you know, the thought she might have had - the one the rest of us disappointed readers had - the thought whereby justice is served heavy on our plates with excess gravy and two (not one) dinner rolls to sop up the mess.

NO - we don’t get what should be our due - we get sloppy, burned leftovers - and no buns - no gravy - not even on a real plate… a true copout if ever I read one.

Did Ms. Flynn lose her nerve when debating having Amy (the proverbial bitch) terminated?  How about having Nick suffer for his stupidity of staying with Amy - any thoughts occur to Ms. Flynn there? Oh, and while I’m at it, what about Amy’s parents - no consequence for them either - a slice of humble pie maybe? 

Ms. Flynn had me thinking her writing was the best thing since sliced bread.

Gone Girl pretended to be a thick slab of heavy duty multigrain that required serious chewing. What Ms. Flynn gave me was fluffy white bread which was left on the counter to go stale.

Gone Girl - that’s what Ms. Flynn is - GONE from my reading list - no second slice for me.

I wonder...

Did Ms. Flynn really think readers would buy that weak, sickly, pathetic ending? 

And… here’s the important question - where was Ms. Flynn’s “team” on this point? You can’t tell me that NO ONE mentioned to her how pathetically lame this ending was/is. 

Really! 

Ms. Flynn needs a new team if this is what they think passes for a great and climatic ending; limp Nick comes to mind. 

Here’s the thing…

Ms. Flynn strings the reader along, we go willingly because she is a master weaver of rose-smelling bullshit. However, when it comes to delivering the goods the well dries up and all that’s left are angry flies swarming the spot where she should have dumped a stinkin’ corpse. 

Gillian Flynn should be ashamed of the ending for Gone Girl. 

First, because there’s nothing ‘gone’ about the ‘girl’ and second because this ending belies the great writer she’s touted to be.

No matter how you slice it a justified killing was in order. 

Let me say this...

For those that rant and rave about this book - it is not a requirement to kill off a bad person, or to end a book to please me - I get that. 

However, to let Amy (the bitch) off without so much as a slap on the wrist is inexcusable and lame. It just is. 

Nick should have had his balls served to him for dinner (no buns or gravy). He was written to be liked initially, but there was nothing endearing about him - ever.

And, how about Amy’s ridiculous parents - who are they even fashioned after? They truly deserved a good beheading for just existing - seriously. They are the equivalent of broccoli from the freezer - tasteless and rubbery. Bordering on slimy actually.

Anyway...

Folks, life is short.

There are lots of great books to read - this is NOT one of them. Put it down NOW and move to the next one on your pile. 

Seriously… 

I wished I had.

NOW - if you really still want to read it - take it out of the library. No one should be making money off you for this kind of writing.

YOUR TURN…

Have you read Gone Girl?

What’s your take…?


Cheers, Jenny

8 comments:

  1. Hello my lovely friend!! I have not read the book however I wanted to pop in to say hello and that I'm alive and well and happy! New things going on in Daytona Beach! Hope all is well in your world. XX

    P.S. There's nothing worse than reading a book that grips you only to find a crappy ending! Such a let down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, dear Barb - I'm happy you're alive and well… and happy too! You deserve the happiness. I do check in regularly to your blog and get glimpses of bliss… I am living vicariously through your reclaimed joy.

      As to the book - you said it… such a let down.

      Hugs to you, Jenny xo

      Delete
  2. I for one am thankful that you had to read such a shitpile. Boy oh boy did it ever get your creative juices flowing for a scathing review. I enjoyed reading the review so much I started writing down some of your lines.

    "all that’s left are angry flies swarming the spot where she should have dumped a stinkin’ corpse. "

    Priceless Pearson! I know better than to read it. Not likely I would have I'm more into murder, disease and pure black bliss.

    I hope all is well and remind me not to hand you any crap to read because I think if it's that bad I'm in for a World O' Shat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahah… you should have heard me ranting. I was sooooo TICKED I could hardly contain myself.
      My first few drafts of this post were hilarious - I was cussing and cursing like the trucker I always wanted to be! :) :)

      Sadly, this book had amazing potential - twists and turns - I put other pressing things on hold to finish it. That's why I'm choked… it was such a big NOTHING ending that I continued turning pages at the end thinking she's hidden the real ending somewhere else.

      Apparently this author has done this with other books of hers. Oh well, she's off my list - a one read investment with absolutely no return on that investment whatsoever. Nada… (see, I'm still writhing…)

      Thanks for dropping in… been thinking about you. :) :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...something - I'm not quite sure what - gives me the impression you are a teensy bit disappointed :)

    Not read it, and wasn't likely to, but loved your post and creative expression. Great food analogies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian - I'm chuckling as I read your comment. Yes, I'm disappointed… just confirming that should you still have doubts. hahahaha

      I was hungry when I wrote this and the food references were my way of dealing with it! I'm glad it worked out the way it did! :)

      Though I think I would still call this book white bread gone stale! Hunger aside!

      Thanks for dropping in - good to see know you are still out there. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this book either, although I'd read pretty good reviews, so I'm going to follow your link in a minute to check out the less good ones (and hopefully find some spoilers!)

    I have to say though, this is always a fear when I near the end of a book - have I let the characters and reader down with a bad ending? Sometimes you're too close to the book, or - like you mentioned - you just switch off/have a deadline/have an idea for the next book and rush through the current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa, thanks for dropping in.

      Yes, there are some pretty good reviews - and there are readers that 'get' the ending, lame as it is. It is indeed a well written page turner to the half way point then it gets convoluted and loses its focus, or at least the author does.

      Apparently it is being made into a movie (release date Oct/14) wherein the ending will be different. Ironically, Ms. Flynn is writing the screenplay and making the changes. Why? is my question to her. If it was good enough to write it with that lame ending and have me suffer through it than why suddenly change that for film. I'm curious if public outcry was the reason.

      It's true, being to close (as in being the author) can distort our vision but that's why we have a core group of readers that give us feedback when we finally get to our second draft. Right? Where was her team? Obviously out for a really long lunch! hahaha

      Oh well… do read it - I'd love to get your take on the ending, hence my "no spoiler" approach.

      Smiles coming your way. :) :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

I'd give you a penny for them, but alas we just snuffed it out. Yup...gone!
It's all about the nickel now...so at this rate you can leave 5 thoughts!

Cheers, Jenny

NOTE: Comment Moderation is ON for posts older than 14 days.