SITE TABS - CLICK TO EXPLORE

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

H is for Helping Hand


Occasionally, during the A-Z Challenge, I encounter the voice of distress and frustration in the form of a blogger who is unsure of what to do about spam; how to handle comments and change a password.

Many of you seasoned bloggers know all about this stuff, so please bear with me. 

Today, I’m lending a helping hand; Linda, I hope this helps!


SPAM AND COMMENTS

When you first sign into your blog you arrive at the page which shows your Blogs and your Reading List.

Click on your blog’s name, this will take you to the Overview Page of that blog.

In the Overview Page, on the left side is a vertical menu bar - Click on Settings (#1 in my screen shot). Next, Click on Post and Comments (#2).

Now you are on the page where I took this screenshot. Click on photo to enlarge.



Look at #3 - Who can comment.

Anonymous lets anyone comment which is often where spam comes into play. 

Registered User, including OpenID is definitely a preferred option as bloggers leaving comments are identified. (I have linked you to Blogger’s Help page for Comments - worth looking at)

The last two options for who can comment are self-explanatory.

Next up is #4 Comment Moderation 

 Always  means that every comment will require your approval before going public on your blog.

I use Always when blogging sporadically to have control over comments when I'm not around.

Sometimes can be a useful tool. You can moderate comments on older posts while allowing some freedom with current posts. 

During the A-Z Challenge I have it set for 2 days; if someone is leaving a comment on a post older than that I will have the chance to see it first before it goes to my blog. 

If you use Always or Sometimes for Comment Moderation - then you must provide an email address (#4a) for those comments to go to. I do recommend having an email address designated for blogging comments - it's easier that way. 

If you chose Never then all comments will go directly to your blog.
You will still see them in your email Inbox but they will not be moderated. If there is a comment you don’t like you will need to manually delete it in the Comment area (circled in green), on the vertical menu bar. 

Remember to report spam to Blogger - they do try and block as much as they can but they need our help to keep on top of it.

A note about Word Verification - it does cut spam down - but it also deters commenting. It is a frustrating step and many visitors will move on rather than jump through the hoop. So try the other options listed above first. If all else fails with cutting down spam then try word verification. 

Also...a fun fact - did you know you only need to type the WV letters not the numbers. I found this out some time ago and when I come across WV I now just put in the letters - works like a charm. (not that WV is charming - I still dislike it)

Last, #5 Comment Form Message - if there is something specific, or just a simple salutation, you want to leave for your visitors that are commenting this is where you do it, they will see it when leaving a comment.  


CHANGING YOUR BLOG PASSWORD

Click on the little arrow on the right side of your avatar which is located in the upper right hand corner of your Dashboard.



Once open Click on Account Settings... the rest should be straight forward.
Anytime you see a little ? next to something it means there’s an explanation for that item you're looking at. 

Note: within each of the Dashboard pages there is a Send feedback button on the bottom right-hand corner - I use this often when I am having a problem. Although Blogger does not respond directly to them they do take feedback seriously. So don't be afraid to give them what for if you're having a problem.

That's it!

I hope this has been helpful - I remember what it was like as a new blogger; it can be very frustrating and lonely out there when you're trying to figure things out behind the scene.


I'm far from being an expert but I like sharing what I do know and what seems to work.


Good luck!



Cheers, Jenny

To those with a few more blogging miles under your belts:

How many of you remember those early days?

Do you miss the old Blogger Dashboard? Or are you liking the current setup?

33 comments:

  1. I must have started after the old dashboard was replaced, but I don't have any problem with the current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kellie - I was of the old era and did miss the previous dashboard badly - I had major withdrawal issues. :) But, like you, I don't have problems with this one... oh, maybe a minor thing here and there but nothing much to fret over.

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Great stuff here! I just recently modified my comment stuff so the Anons would leave me alone!
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani - good on you. I think if a person has a comment they should own it with an identity of some sort and not hide behind the banner of anonymity. I hope your issues with the Anons has been resolved. :)

      Delete
  3. Very helpful post Jenny. I picked the one where anonymous comments can't be made and I haven't had any trouble since. I am with you on word verification and have been tempted so many times to stop commenting on those blogs for time's sake, but I just love those blogs so much, they're my people! :)

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - I have no problems when leaving comments on your blog. It may be that the blogs you love, using WV, don't know of the other options.

      When I first started blogging I think WV was automatically set and I didn't know I had it because I never saw it on my blog. Dezzie, from Hollywood Spy, pointed it out to me, bless him, and I changed it... so it could be a similar thing of not knowing.

      I like to pay it forward - feel free to share this post with your people! :)

      And, Lisa, t's so good to see your beautiful avatar here - thanks for visiting me during the A-Z.
      Big hugs right back!

      Delete
  4. Great Blogger advice! :)

    I missed the old dashboard for a while, but I've gotten used to the new one. Which means they'll probably change it again soon... *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda - thanks!

      I miss the old beast myself - got really bummed about it too. But, never jumped ship because every blog system has their glitches and problems; better the devil I know, I always say.

      As to pending changes... I'm keeping my gin supply topped up... one never knows with these techies, eh!

      Thanks for stopping by, Linda, - always great seeing that avatar of yours! :)

      Delete
  5. I use Open Id at my place too, it's the best way to stop spammers and it's funny that when I turn it of for an hour or so (when a celebrity tweets about my post and I know many of their fans will come over who don't have Open Id) the spammers send spam within half an hour. That's deeply creepy. Wish I could get my hands and claws on those spammers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's thanks to you that I stopped using WV - remember, back in 2011; it was at the start of the A-Z and I was a newbie to blogging. Freaked me out - but once in the groove I've never looked back.

      When I'm not active I do go into full Comment Moderation mode, just so I don't have any surprises.

      Your experience with spammers does sound creepy - might make a good thriller! :)

      Delete
  6. And this is why I adore you, Jenny!

    You are one of the most kind-hearted bloggers I know. You're always thinking of others. You rock!

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I'm blushing... thank you so much for this kind comment.
      I've been blessed with knowing outstanding bloggers, Elsie, therefore paying it forward comes easy.

      And, dare I say, you're a double rocker to my rock!! Big hugs.

      Delete
  7. okay, my brain is exploding--haha jk, thanks jenny-i will have to come back to fully understand all of this---thanks for looking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I hope the explosion wasn't too messy - wouldn't want extra cleaning for you! hahaha
      Come back anytime, Lynn - this post won't be going anywhere soon.

      Thanks for stopping by and checking it out though, much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous6:40 am

    Many thanks Jenny - and here I was thinking that Anonymous was simply a prolific commenter - I have just guaranteed the reduction of future comments on my blog by about 99%. Best wishes. Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff - your avatar is always a smile generator for me - thanks for dropping in and taking a look at this post.

      I have never had Anonymous activated because I think we should all own our comments in some identifiable way so I've been lucky not to have much of a spam problem either - I think they go hand in hand.

      The proliferation of the Anonymous comment is on the rise - hence we're seeing more and more blogs sporting the WV option. I think the best is Registered Users!

      Cheers, Jenny :)

      Delete
  9. you are the best, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, no, you are the best... it's true! :)

      Delete
  10. Great H :) you are always so supporting, great blogging fellowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia - I try! I've been lousy at getting around and leaving comments though. So if I can tell you here I've been enjoying your A-Z theme very much. Hugs. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Karen - and your avatar just keeps that smile going! I'm having a very happy day seeing so many of my favourite bloggers here... I thought this would be one post most would give a pass to as you all know this stuff!

    But... thank you for your support during this A-Z, much appreciated. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Now I know where to go the next time I have a question...great explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you thank you thank you. This is incredibly helpful! I'm going to go right now and try to make it work. Wish me luck!

    The nontechnological Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I do hope this was helpful - let me know if anything else is giving you grief; if I can help I will. :)

      I think we are all non-techs at the onset... you'll get, trust me!

      Delete
  14. This was super helpful. Thanks! Although I will miss all those SPAM comments for sexcams that I received for my post, "Man Boobs Return."
    sniff...sniff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Al - Super Helpful Woman to the rescue - hahaha! If only!! But, I do know what it's like in the trenches of Blogger's Dashboard and if I can shed a little light, so be it!

      Yeah...gotta love some of that spam...NOT! :P

      Delete
  15. I might be wrong Jenny but I think it was you who taught me how to enable email my email for replies which I'm really grateful for. Love when you do these kind of posts Jenny because I know sometimes Blogger can be confusing and nobody likes having captchas up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt! Did I? Hmmm... what the heck, I'll take the credit! haha

      Yes, Blogger can be confusing - you'd think they would have better help explanations - they are sometimes so vague, and do not always cover the exact topic a person is needing help with.

      That's why I like throwing out these sorts of posts once in a while, particularly during the A-Z, where there are a lot of new bloggers just starting out.

      Nice to see you out and about - I enjoy seeing you here! :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks, Jenny. Jeremy (Retro) sent me here. Before today I had no idea that I had word verification enabled on my blog. I hate those, and I had no idea I was inflicting this on others. I do appreciate your clear explanation.

    Beverly Gray
    blogging at www.beverlyinmovieland.com (Come visit!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly - welcome to Pearson Report.

      How nice of Jeremy to send you my way. I'm glad I could be of help! Feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can shed light on.

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Jenny - I'd kept this open, having been away for a few days, and I'll still keep it open - as I knew it'd be helpful ..

    Cheers - you're always so precise and professional in your posts .. I know I is a difficult one for you .. happy thoughts from H for Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Hilary - I hope wherever you were, for a few days, was restful and enjoyable.
      With smiles, Jenny

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.