SITE TABS - CLICK TO EXPLORE

Monday, May 14, 2012

A repost: Hands at ten and two, please.


Worth posting again.

Young or old...how seriously do you take your driving?

____________________________________


How many more young drivers would she see talking on the phone or texting before she came upon one that was actually just driving.
She honked, and getting the girl’s attention she mouthed, “Stop that!” as she signed with her hands the texting motion.
The girl sneered and looked back down into her lap as the light turned green.
The old woman continued driving and focused on the heavy traffic; she lost sight of the girl. When she arrived home she wrote down the licence plate and make of car, she had every intention of calling it in - she always did; not to be mean, but in hopes that it might save a life.
And, as luck would have it, the girl arrived home in one piece.
The girl was always home first given the time school let out and when her mother left work; time enough to raid the fridge for a snack - she knew dinner would still be a while.
The girl sent another text to confirm her earlier message that the evening plans had been fixed; they would all be meeting at their favourite club tonight.
A phone call and several texts later the knock on the front door aroused her attention. 
Almost bumping into a wall that had jumped out in front of her, as she texted her way to the front door, the young woman opened the door and thought, shit, that old bitch called the cops on me, damn, mom’s gonna be pissed.
Standing there, on the front porch, were two police officers, a man and a woman. They asked her her name and then asked if they could come in and talk with her.
The girl obliged and showed them into the living room; she figured, maybe, if her luck continued she could sweet talk her way out of a ticket and have them gone before mom got home from work.
 The officers looked at her and at each other, simultaneously asking her to sit down; the female sat down beside her while the male officer turned his back to them.
He heard the breaking of his partner's voice and hoped she could deliver the news; she needed the experience - it would be tough.
“I have some very bad news, your mother was in a car accident,” the officer took a deep breath and continued, “she did not survive...I am so sorry.” She inhaled and tried to steady her breathing - would giving such horrific news ever get easier.
“How?” was all that came out of the girl’s mouth as she began to sob.
“Your mother was hit, driver’s side, by a girl who was distracted while texting and didn’t see her,” came the chilling words from the male officer as he turned to face the girl.
He took a long heavy breath and paused, trying to mask his disdain, then continued, “And, she was texting you...in reply to your invitation to go out tonight. We have the text on her phone.”
__________________________
So, what do you think about texting while driving?
 Jenny

23 comments:

  1. I remember this one. It is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the law still for teens only? Thanks for taking another read, Ruth - never gets old, this kind of message, does it?

      Delete
  2. Powerful stuff! I agree entirely. Driving a car is a serious matter even with all your faculties on the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've probably figured, by now, I like getting a point across in a story - this one is based on a true story - how sad, eh! You're so right - driving a car is a serious matter, too bad it's not taken seriously by more drivers.

      Thanks for stopping by, Botanist, and taking a look.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this before. Thank you for reposting - gave me shivers. Luckily my daughter is so strict with herself that she either won't answer her phone while driving or she'll pull over to have a look at the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by, Sally - I'm happy to read your daughter takes her driving seriously; please tell her I say "thank you". As a mother, of a daughter who also drives, I worry about her safety from other drivers that just don't get it. Like yours mine is also fastidious about her driving habits.

      Delete
  4. i remember this one it's a good one to repost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca - thanks for dropping in...again! I think this is also one of those timeless posts that can be aired now and then as a reminder to all of us how dangerous driving really is.

      Delete
  5. Gyaahhh. Brilliant! That's just like one of those "grab you by the brain and shake you until your boots fall off" stories that TJ writes.

    I've almost been killed several times by fools texting and driving. And not too long ago I almost ran over some idiot teenager who was swerving all over the road on his bicycle because he was texting and not watching where he was going.

    Maybe it's evolution and will help weed out some of the dangerously stupid people. I just hope they don't take too many of us with them when they go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the story...sad as it is. I totally get what you're saying, I find driving now to be such a stress - between the texters (in cars, on bikes, walking) and the increase, overall, of cars on the road I'm surprised that the fatality numbers aren't higher.

      I've got a post, somewhere in here, about stupid people...I'll have to go digging and do a repost. I'm reposting due to time constraints - doing these repost is my new blogging strategy - until I run out of old posts...then I'm hooped.

      Thanks for stopping by, Rev - much appreciated. :)

      Delete
  6. This one still makes my heart skip a beat! I hate texting while driving! I want to slap everyone of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Carole - a good slapping might be a start, but then I often wonder if parents set a bad example for their kids when it comes to use of their phone while driving; lately, I see so many mothers, with wee ones in the back seat, chatting merrily away while driving.

      Thanks for stopping by...how is your wee one? :)

      Delete
  7. Anonymous1:01 pm

    Oh my gosh. This is so very powerful. I'm glad you reposted it and gave me a chance to read it since I'm so new here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was worth putting out there again...I'm glad you thought so too!
      Thanks for stopping by, Elsie. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow Jenny, I have goosebumps tingling down my spine right now at just how powerful this story hit me, I can't believe I've read something so thought provoking and harrowing on Blogger tonight, this is truly amazing, it really gives you pause to think, it really does. That girl thought her texting was inconsequential but really is wasn't, driving should always be done saftely, I'm really glad you reposed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matthew - well, if it gives readers a few goosebumps then I think its done its job - I had goosebumps when I wrote it! I see so many young adults totally unaware of their surroundings due to being distracted by their phones; so sad when it all ends like this.

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  9. Good golly, can't be snarky here.
    Especially since I have two teenagers with cell phones.
    Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be one of those posts that needs to be printed out and left somewhere the kids will see it. I think it does hit home...all in the name of "quick" and "convenient" a single moment of stupidity can alter lives forever.

      Thanks for dropping in and taking a read. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Jenny - not much .. in fact I get totally irritated by it, because I don't do it, wouldn't do it. Very sad tale - but good to remind us all .. thanks - I hope I live a long life, without that - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on "getting totally irritated by it" - it's bad enough we now allow hands free phoning while driving, but the texting stuff really needs to be dealt with. Lately we are having a lot more accidents because of it - as if there aren't enough accidents waiting to happen (and happening) without this being added to the lot.

      Thanks for stopping by, Hilary - always happy to have you weigh in on my posts. :)

      Delete
  11. Yeah I can't see how people think it's a good idea to do something while driving that by definition needs you to take your eyes off the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder this too...it takes such skill and concentration to drive a vehicle. I'm always amazed at the "multi-tasking" that is going on while driving. The phone is just the latest...there's eating, putting on makeup, smoking and I've even seen people reading...yes...reading!

      Delete
  12. Jeez. And I felt such an idiot. If I got a phone call I needed to answer I would pull off the road.

    Guess I'm just inefficient.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.