SITE TABS - CLICK TO EXPLORE

Monday, December 05, 2011

CREEP, by Jennifer Hillier - My Review!

Are you looking for a book that will keep you guessing and turning pages?
Here’s the book you’re looking for - CREEP.
CREEP is Jennifer Hillier’s fiction debut novel - and a fantastic read!
I had the pleasure of discovering Jennifer Hillier’s blog site, The Serial Killer Files during this year’s A-Z Challenge and subsequently discovered CREEP, while visiting her site.
From the opening line, in the first chapter of CREEP, I was pulled into the pages and found myself really forming strong feelings for the three main characters.
What I really appreciated, about Hillier’s writing style, was how quickly I was able to form these feelings with minimal effort on her part. My own imagination, which is quite active, was allowed to partake in the visualizing and mental imagery of her characters - yet Hillier was in total control of where she wanted me to go with these likes and dislikes I had of her characters.
There was an oh-oh moment which came at me suddenly; I found myself diving into the book with greater gusto in hopes of finding out if my gut instincts were correct about this plot thickener.
If you love a novel filled with intrigue, seductions, twists and turns you will not be disappointed with this book; CREEP meets all the requirements of what a great thriller, and bestseller, should be!
I would like to congratulate Jennifer Hillier on CREEP - it was an excellent read; I look forward to her next book, FREAK.


If you’re looking for a book that you won’t put down I recommend picking up a copy of CREEP.


Taken from the inside panel of the front cover...the real teaser...
IF HE CAN'T HAVE HER . . .
Dr. Sheila Tao is a professor of psychology. An expert in human behaviour. And when she began an affair with sexy, charming graduate student Ethan Wolfe, she knew she was playing with fire. Consumed by lust when they were together, riddled with guilt when they weren't, she knows the three-month fling with her teaching assistant has to end. After all, she's engaged to a kind and loving investment banker who adores her, and she's taking control of her life. But when she attempts to end the affair, Ethan Wolfe won't let her walk away.
. . . NOBODY ELSE CAN.
Ethan has plans for Sheila, plans that involve posting a sex video that would surely get her fired and destroy her prestigious career. Plans to make her pay for rejecting him. And as she attempts to counter his every threatening move without her colleagues or her fiancé discovering her most intimate secrets, a shattering crime rocks Puget Sound State University: a female student, a star athlete, is found stabbed to death. Someone is raising the stakes of violence, sex, and blackmail . . . and before she knows it, Sheila is caught in a terrifying cat-and-mouse game with the lover she couldn't resist—who is now the monster who won't let her go.

Let me know if you’ve read it, or if your planning on adding it to your reading list!


Jenny

18 comments:

  1. Wow Jenny, just from reading your description I can tell that this is a book I must own, it sounds so amazing, I honestly need to get a copy of it somehow. Thriller's tinged with a bit of murder are my favourite types of books and I honestly feel compelled to add this to my collection. I hope it's not particularly hard to get hold of as I'd love to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Will buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, CREEP is a good read. Can't wait for FREAK to come out next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! Sounds like a creepily good read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YeamieWaffles

    It’s a book worth looking for - it is coming out in paperback Dec. 22 and failing that, look for it in your local library.
    Either way, it’s a must read!

    ________________


    Claudia

    You won’t regret buying it - since you travel a fair bit this book will help keep you distracted.

    ________________

    L.G.Smith

    I’m not surprised that you’ve read it already. I finished it mid October and have been meaning to post this ever since.

    Like you, I can’t wait for FREAK.

    A little footnote - seeing the capitalization of CREEP and FREAK in your comment I realized I needed to do a quick amendment to my post.

    Sometimes it takes me a while to fire up all my engines.

    ________________

    Linda G.

    It is really “creepily” good! See if you can sink your teeth into it sometime in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to look for that. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny. What a great review you have given this book. It has certainly made me want to read it, and I think it might even be a good one for the Book Club that I go to. Thank you for telling us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Jenny! So glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth

    If you're into suspenseful, well written Thrillers then this is your book! I really did enjoy it - there wasn't a page that didn't serve a purpose, and to me that speaks volumes to Jennifer Hillier's writing talents.

    _______________

    Thisisme

    I'm glad you dropped by to read my first attempt at doing a review - a bit nerve-wracking but fun!

    If you are part of a book club that goes for this genre then please recommend it - you and your fellow readers will truly enjoy every part of this book.

    _______________

    Jennifer

    Thanks back at you! I'm the one doing the enjoying - you had the hard part, the writing!

    As I said, in earlier communications, I'm totally impressed with this book; the characters, the way you steer the story and how truly engrossed I was from start to finish.

    You are talented - I look forward to your next book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew!! At first, I thought it was an unauthorized biography.
    I just couldn't handle the bad press.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Al

    I know the feeling...I was thinking the same with Jennifer Hillier's second novel, FREAK, and I'm going...do I have to worry...will it be bad...how bad can it be...I'm a sweet freak after all!
    Then I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized it wasn't about me (vanity does get in the way sometimes) because mostly it's always about me! (or you!!)

    Your comments always add the laugh factor - for that I say thank you Al - consider yourself cyber hugged!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you’re looking for a book that you won’t put down I recommend picking up a copy of CREEP.
    Top tip :- You can turn any book into a book you won't (or to be more precise can't ) put down. Just dip either your fingers or the exterior of the book in fast acting industrial strength glue.....

    On an unrelated topic – we will be visiting Vancouver at new year (fleetingly as we are heading up to Whistler – since the snow in Europe is currently a nosnow). You should be able to spot me I’ll be the one with two books glued to my hands....just got to work out which ones I don’t want to put down....

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice review, Jenny, I've been seeing CREEP all around the blogosphere, and Jennifer sometimes drops by my site too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm... Sounds intriguing. The missus and I enjoy a good psychological thriller now and then and this one sounds right up our alley. Like something from Patricia Cornwell or Johnathan Kellerman. We'll check it out! Thanks! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been following Jennifer's blog for a while--this book is on my TBR list!

    Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. BlackLOG

    You crack me up...love the glue tip! So...what you’re saying is no sniffing...is that right?

    On an unrelated topic - let’s do coffee/drinks/dinner - whatever you have time for!
    If you and Mrs B (and I’m assuming the Beast will be along too) are in town for more than a quick drive-by, en route to Whistler, let’s get together - would be a total blast!

    I’ll be in touch, or you can email me, either way...let’s make this happen!

    _______________

    DEZMOND

    Thanks! Glad you liked my “first ever” review!
    If you haven’t given CREEP a look I highly recommend it - I know you will really like it.

    Besides, it should be noted - I don’t recommend something on a whim, I have to be mighty impressed to go out on a limb like this; and I was impressed with Jennifer Hillier’s work! I know you will be too!

    ________________

    Rev

    You and Missus Rev will definitely like this book - seeings that you like psychological thrillers (now and then) I recommend this to be a very good read.

    Do check it out!

    ________________

    Golden Eagle

    Jennifer’s blog is a great find, I’m glad you’ve had her on your radar for a while - and I’m please you have added Creep to your TBR list!

    You will love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jenny - yea I can comment! Bliss .. those embedded comment boxes are pains ...

    Creep sounds like an intriguing rather 'frightening' read .. sometime I'd like to pluck up the courage to read ... so I'll keep Jennifer Hillier's name in mind ..

    Thanks and great that I'm here and commenting .. cheers Hilary

    PS - Lee's a great advert for blogging and connecting people ..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this is my kind of book! Thanks for the review, Jenny. Off to buy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.